What sections of mains water pipework are Severn Trent and the homeowner responsible for?

Severn Trent Water is generally responsible for the water mains pipework up to and including the external stop tap, which is usually located at the property boundary.

Pipework within the boundary – known as the service pipe – is the responsibility of the homeowner, or may be shared with neighbours if it serves more than one property.

If the external stop tap is located some distance away from the property, then responsibility for the full extent of the service pipe will normally lie with the owners of the properties it serves.